Preventing Spring Water Damage to Your Home
Seepage into your property through leaks and cracks are the most common form of water damage once the winter snow melts.
Here are some easy steps you can take to prevent flooding and water damage to your home:
- Remove any ice or snow from your eave troughs so water can flow freely (for example, use a broom to safely knock down any icicles hanging from the gutters).
- Melting snow can pool and seep into the soil next to your foundation. Over time moisture may build and ‘bleed’ through your basement walls.
- Be sure to check corners or joints where the wall meets the floor for any seepage.
- Clogged gutters can cause water to spill over the side, down the walls of your home and seep into the foundation.
- Always ensure your gutters are clean and free of debris.
- Ensure downspouts are positioned away from your home. If needed, utilize an extender to direct water two to three feet away from the foundation.
Most homeowner’s policies will cover water damage if it is considered sudden and accidental, and is not caused by freezing. Depending upon the insurer, flooding is either not covered or has only limited coverage available, so it is important to take steps to prevent any damage to your property.
Retirement and the Importance of Regular Home Evaluations
Whether you are 5-10 years from retiring, or just dreaming far into the future of the type of life you want to live in your golden years, one thing is for certain−once you reach retirement, you will hit the time in your life when you’ll want to aim to be mortgage-free. It’s also the time when you might consider downsizing to something a little smaller and more manageable, or to open up some options for snow-birding. As part of your overall wealth plan for retirement, knowing the current value of your home will ensure you make smart financial decisions whether you’re looking to sell, buy, or both. Getting an annual real estate review will ensure you know the value of your largest asset and give you the time and perspective you need to plan your perfect retirement.
Contact CIR REALTY Now For A Free Market Evaluation. Our goal is to meet all of your real estate needs. We look forward to hearing from you. We are happy to answer ANY questions you may have.
email email@example.com | phone 403-464-9300